Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Stuffed Peppers and Kale Chips, please!

Somehow, this was a success.  A big one, actually.  I figured the kids would eat it but would complain and need motivated by a gluten free sucker after dinner but no...no.

First, I had to pick up tomatoes, cilantro and apples.

Here is how that went...




Stuffed Peppers and Kale Chips




Set oven to 400-425 depending.
I browned two lbs of beef along with
Cutting out the core and seeding 6 peppers.
Cut them in half placing them in a casserole dish.

I went the easy-peasy route and threw 4 medium sized tomatoes, fresh cilantro and 1/2 an onion into the vitamin.  It smelled amazing!

After the meat was cooked and drained, I returned it to the frying pan, added the concoction along with 4 cloves of minced garlic, salt, pepper, cumin and ginger seasonings.

The smell, it was fabulous!

After about 10 minutes of letting the juices get absorbed into the meat, I tossed a big spoon ladle full of the mixture into each pepper half and tossed them into the oven.

Next, I took kale and avoiding the center, I placed chip-sized pieces onto two baking sheets.
I melted a spoonful of coconut oil and poured it onto the kale pieces giving it a good hand stir.
Sprinkled salt and after 15 minutes of the peppers cooking, I added the kale into the oven for another 10-15 minutes.

It was easy but for some reason, time consuming. I could have prepped better and I will next time!

Cy devoured the kale chips and had two servings of stuffed peppers! I really couldn't believe my eyes!




And the hubs said, "That's 2 for 2! You're on a role!"

P.S.Going gluten free is scary for kids and men (and me!) so although I fed my kids extremely healthy most of the time, now it's all in for all of us. And that is an adjustment.  No more being hypocritical when they're not looking! Well, there will be less of that, at least but never cheating! ;)

I highly recommend trying these! Surprisingly filling and quite delsih if I do say so myself :)



2 comments:

  1. And there you go inspiring me with recipes! Seriously, having a vitamix makes everything so much easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fantastic! I am wondering what I need to get some 'chunkage', though. Like making salsa. Not sure I want watery salsa ;)

      Delete